Spicy Apple Chutney with Foie Gras Torchon
by Crimson Gourmet
- 3 small firm fuji apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Espelette chili pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup raspberry red wine vinegar
- ½ cup super fine sugar
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup sweet Reisling, Sauternes, or Gewrztraminer
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Foie gras torchon or terrine (also see the French-style terrine for another great option for this flavor profile)
- French Baguette, sliced and toasted in oven with olive oil spray
- Thyme (for garnish)
For the chutney, put the all ingredients into a thick bottom saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, then simmer until thick and all liquid is absorbed. Cool, remove bay leaf, thyme and cinnamon stick, then refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the baguette and arrange sliced on cookie sheet. Spray each slice on both sides with olive oil. Bake until toasted, about 15 minutes. Cool.
Slice foie gras in ½ ounce slices and serve on toasted bread with a teaspoon of apple chutney. Garnish with thyme.