Rhubarb Chutney with Pine Nut Crusted Seared Foie Gras and Toasted Brioche
by Crimson Gourmet
- 1 1/3 Cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut in ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- fresh foie gras, 2 oz slices (up to 16 slices per Rhubard Chutney recipe)
- salt and pepper
- pine nuts, chopped
- brioche bread, sliced into rectangular strips, toasted
- chives, cut into 1 inch lengths
In a large saucepan combine the first 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Add the rhubarb, ginger, and red onion. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick, stirring often, about 50-45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Toast pine nuts in a small skillet over low heat until golden brown. Set aside.
Let foie gras slices reach room temperature. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat heavy skillet to medium hot to hot. Sear foie gras slices for about 30 – 45 seconds per side.
Spoon 2 tablespoons chutney on serving plate. Top with seared foie gras. Cover foie gras with toasted pine nuts. Garnish with chives. Set two toasted strips of brioche bread next to foie gras.